Builders: A. & J. Inglis of Pointhouse, Glasgow.
Keel laid 27th December 1945.
2nd October 1946 by Lady Matthews, the wife of the Chairman of the LNER.
Ran between 2nd and 5th June 1947, maximum speed obtained 18.37 knots at 56.5
revolutions per minute.
693; 328 net
£107,725 of which £15,125 was compensation from the Admiralty for
the loss of the previous Waverley on war service.
Triple expansion steam engine, 2100 indicated horse power
built by Rankin & Blackmore, Eagle Foundry, Greenock.
Cylinders, 24", 39"; stroke 66".
18.37 knots (trials) at 56.5 revolutions per minute), 14.5
Certificates: Class III 740 (originally 829), Class
IV 800 (originally 967), Class V 925 (originally 1350).
sailing: 16 June 1947
Coal fired, double-ended Scotch boiler until 1956 then converted
to oil firing. Re-boilered 1981 with a Babcock "Steambloc"
during Heritage Rebuild 2000. Boiler working pressure 180
pounds per square inch.
Owners: 1947 London & North Eastern Railway, 1948-51
British Transport Commission, 1951-72 Caledonian Steam Packet
Company Limited, 1973-74 Caledonian MacBrayne Limited, 1974-present
Waverley Steam Navigation Company (since 1978 on charter
to Waverley Excursions Ltd.)